I was trying to write an out of office (OOO) message the other day, and I wasn’t feeling any love flowing from the process. Rummaging through a number of my co-workers past OOO messages, it was apparent none of them were feeling the love when they wrote theirs either.
I decided to search out some smarty pants OOO’s on the net. But… most of the ones I found of value, would probably have gotten me into serious trouble if I used them. Dang it!
I didn’t want to leave the standard “‘ ….. — ……”
I also knew I couldn’t post any pictures of my fluffy little pink body lying on the beach somewhere, sipping a cocktail either. It’s your loss!
There was no in-between and no escape in writing this stupid out of office message. So I decided to borrow from a Twitter OOO, and invent my own headliner. I was inspired!
- Hi. I’m out enjoying the big outdoors – want to crash my fun? send me a tweet at: ‘ .
- I’m on vacation but will be reviewing my messages periodically. You can tweet me. Since we have limited space to chat, please use 1 and 2 letter words only in your reply. Ｒ ｕ ｏｋ ｗ／ｉｔ？
- I’m on vacation – I’m okay. If you feel the need to check up on me, I will – all my travel adventures on Twitter at 6:30am and 3:00pm to go out during the daily board meeting times.
- Hi, I’m out of the office on vacation. Thanks for contacting me. You are now subscribed to my twitter feed and all 3000 followers. .
- I am on vacation, but I will be watching you. Not in the stalker type of way or anything – but watching. Always watching. I see you looked at my Twitter.
- While gone I have left (#name) in charge of your department. Tweet me your escape plan. We’ll plan a rendezvous.
- I am out of the office but I will be checking in on you. What’s your twitter handle?
You also have the Sappy, Happy, and Don’t you wish you were ones.
- Hi. I’m enjoying the islands with family and friends. We have o social media and/or email contact policy while sunbathing along the sunny shores and living the dream.
- So glad you stopped by to leave me a message. I’m currently on a cruise ship in the Carribean. You can Tweet me, but this bird has already flown the coop.
- I’m currently out of the office experiencing life. You should get one too! I know you want it. Raise your hand and say ” Please!”
- This is your boss. You aren’t allowed to have fun while I am gone. I’ve hidden the company credit card and reduced your wireless connection to “nothing”. I’ve had cameras installed and will be monitoring your movement throughout the day.
- I’m off to the lovely islands to drink in the sun and dance the night away. I’ll be bringing back seashells and beaded crafts – along with a better attitude when I return.
I suppose I’m lazy. Or maybe I’m afraid of the replies I might receive from leaving my charming if not sarcastic jibs for my fellow office workers to read.
My personal favorite: -!
The “As Usual” series
Content creator & writer, blogger, social and digital media advocate. JB was born with a passion for writing and instructional design. JB is the owner of Radcliff Design.